US bilingual candidates
In 1785 Thomas Jefferson said: “When you become a public man, you may have occasion for [Spanish]”
Today, with roughly 54 million Latinos in the U.S. (and growing), speaking Spanish, or at least having a good understanding of the language, is definitely a bonus for presidential hopefuls.
As José Mújica told Barack Obama “You will have to become a bilingual country yes, or yes.” The reality is that most Americans can speak only English, but in an age of increasing globalization, such monolingualism can be a patent disadvantage. Although English is the international language of business and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future, Spanish is becoming a crucial second language to have in the U.S.
Marco Rubio speaking Spanish
US has not had a bilingual president in 70 years. But Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, both fluent Spanish speakers, could change it.
Jeb Bush speaking Spanish
As it seems, Ted Cruz, born in Canada and with Cuban descent, is not very fluent in Spanish. However, it is not a big deal for Cruz in electoral terms, since he has not much latino suppont in his home state and he is popular among high right conservative whites.
Ted Cruz saying some words in Spanish
Unfortunatelly Democrats are lagging behind as far as language skills go. Neither Hillary Clinton nor Bernie Sanders can speak Spanish. Candidates that can speak Spanish (or even a little) all seem to be coming from the right.
Influence of Spanish in the US
- Memes, funny videos and jokes for translators English and Spanish
- What is a back translation? English
- What is a reconciliation? English
- Gifts for translators Spanish and English
- Native American language maps and videos English
- Where did the English language come from? English
- Second languages by country English
- Oxford dictionaries Word of the year 2015 English
- Translations with highest rates English
- The English language in 30 accents English
- Humor for translators Monty Python English
- Palma de Mallorca, the best city to live in the world according to the Sunday Times English
- Mejores métodos no presenciales para aprender idiomas (Rankings) Spanish
- Book reviews: The language instinct by Steven Pinker English
- Películas sobre traductores e intérpretes Spanish
- Mejores ciudades donde vivir Spanish
- Vocabulario sobre la crisis financiera Inglés-español
- Los políticos españoles con más idiomas Spanish
- Etimología: origen de la palabra traducir Spanish
- Humor para traductores Instrucciones de una Sandwichera Spanish
- Estos son los certificados de idiomas que te pedirán para estudiar en el extranjero Español