Regional accents of English
3 minutes to a proper British accent with U of A Prof David Ley
David Ley recently became an Internet sensation for his use of a vibrator to improve vocal range for singers and actors. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSEby…)
Now Ley—who is a drama professor, and voice and dialect coach at the University of Alberta—offers a three-minute tutorial on how to speak with an upper class British accent. With Ley’s help, a hard candy and a little practice, you’ll be directing the sec-retree to the lav-retree in no time.
Look for a profile on Ley in the Spring 2013 issue of New Trail magazine. (http://www.newtrail.ualberta.ca/)
- The Speech Accent Archive 1254 audio samples of people with various accents reading the same paragraph.
- http://www.dialectsarchive.com/ The International Dialects of English Archive
- Sounds Familiar? — Listen to examples of regional accents and dialects from across the UK on the British Library’s ‘Sounds Familiar’ website
- ‘Hover & Hear’ Accents of English from Around the World, listen and compare side by side instantaneously.
- International Dialects of English Archive
- English Accents and Dialects Searchable free-access archive of 681 speech samples, England only, wma format with linguistic commentary
- Britain’s crumbling ruling class is losing the accent of authority An article on the connection of class and accent in the UK, its decline, and the spread of Estuary English
- The Telsur Project Homepage of the telephone survey of North American English accents
- Pittsburgh Speech & Society A site for non-linguists, by Barbara Johnstone of Carnegie Mellon University
- Linguistic Geography of Pennsylvania by Claudio Salvucci
- Phillyspeak A newspaper article on Philadelphia speech
- J.C. Wells’ English Accents course Includes class handouts describing Cockney, Scottish, Australian, and Scouse, among other things.
- Evaluating English Accents Worldwide
- Do You Speak American? A series of web pages by PBS that attempts to discuss the differences between dialects in the United States
- American Regional Accent Map[dead link] A continuously-updating map based on users’ responses to quizzes
- Language by Video Short videos demonstrating differences in English accents around the world.
- Regional accents of English
I wish you enjoyed the post The English language in 30 accents.
By traducción financiera